What is it like being a CSVA?



Here is some feedback from our current team!


"I am a supportive and caring person by nature. I can empathize with the trauma and overwhelming experience a survivor of sexual assault is dealing with. The training provided by the Union County Rape Crisis Center prepared me for the reality of serving survivors by way of role plays for hotline calls and in-person accompaniments. I encourage others to sign-up to become a Confidential Sexual Violence Advocate (CSVA) because our presence and advocacy can help them through a traumatic experience."

CSVA Bridgette


"My personal experience inspired me to become a Confidential Sexual Violence Advocate. Participating in the training with the Union County Rape Crisis Center prepared the team for the various scenarios we could expect to encounter on a hotline call or in-person accompaniment. Advocating for survivors is important because they often feel they don't have a voice. In those moments, we stand beside them educating, empowering, and supporting them. I would encourage anyone with compassion to sign up! Knowing you get to be a part of an individual's healing journey is truly a blessing."

CSVA Taisha


"If you have a true passion for helping others in their time of need, this could be a role for you. As a CSVA, my empathy and compassion help in providing support and comfort to those who contact the Union County Rape Crisis Center for services. Being able to provide them the tools to further empower themselves is all due to the training and mentoring we receive and rely heavily on. We welcome anyone interested in committing to serving in our communities and hope to continue the UCRCC's mission."

CSVA Bianca 


"I started as a volunteer at the Rape Crisis Center. I found an ad in the newspaper that the center was seeking volunteers. I thought that this could be a way for me to give back and help others since I have had my own personal experiences and received no help. When I called it was too late, they had already begun training. I found it again the following year and decided that I would call right away to make sure that I wouldn’t miss the classes. Here we are 17 years later...I find comfort in knowing that I am able to help people during their time of need."

CSVA Stacy


"Being a Confidential Sexual Violence Advocate (CSVA) I know is not for everyone, but it is honestly one of the most rewarding experiences. As someone who has their own personal history, it makes me incredibly happy to be a part of a team of people that have so much empathy and compassion, and have a genuine want to help people during the worst day(s) of their life. The training that we receive from the UCRCC is incredibly valuable, not only because we get to experience what we could encounter during a hotline call or in-person accompaniments, but skills that we can use during everyday life. If you are someone that is drawn to people, drawn to helping, and have a huge amount of compassion and empathy, being a CSVA is something to definitely look into."

CSVA Ariana