UCRCC Spotlight: CSVA, Taisha

UCRCC Spotlight:
Confidential
Sexual Violence
Advocate, 
Taisha H.




What inspired you to become a CSVA?
From the moment I saw the announcement looking for volunteers I knew it was something I wanted to do. I experienced sexual violence in my life and wanted to be able to help others in their time of need.
 
What was the training like in comparison to the reality of serving survivors?
Training helped give me the tools to assist survivors. The tools learned during training, along with flexibility and thinking on your feet, help address additional safety concerns and other factors a caller may have.  

What is your goal in serving survivors? Particularly, what unique qualities do you identify within yourself to assist you in serving survivors?
My goal with any call is to be a source of support and encouragement for survivors and/or significant others. Sometimes a caring ear is enough to give survivors the space they need to acknowledge their feelings or make difficult decisions.

Why do you think advocacy for those affected by sexual violence is so important?
Survivors may not always know where to turn. We help give survivors and significant others information, resources and options they may not have otherwise known.

Do you have anything you’d like to share with people thinking about volunteering with the UCRCC?
I would encourage anyone thinking of volunteering to absolutely take that leap. It can be scary but it is incredibly rewarding.

Is there anything you’d specifically like to share with the people reading this ?
The volunteers I serve with are some of the most caring and compassionate people I have ever met. It takes a big heart to do this work and I cannot express how proud I am to be part of this amazing group.